Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Day 2, Entry 1 - More about me, Nut

Dear Diary, 

This morning was uneventful with our usual wake up routine. We (Titan, Mira and I) still think it's crazy that we have to wait until mom is done showering and getting ready, before we are fed. We spend much of that in between time pacing the apartment and popping our head through the shower curtain to remind mom to hurry, that we are still hungry and more hungry than we were 10 minutes ago. 
Sometimes we just sit in the bathroom and wait rather than wasting our precious energy reserves on pacing. Usually, if I wait in the bathroom, my eyes get a bit runny. 

I have chronic rhino-sinusitis which is much better than it used to be. My eye likely runs because I have scar tissue built up in my nasolacrimal duct(tear duct) from having chronic rhino-sinusitis and constant inflammation. The scarring causes irritation which causes my eye and sometimes nose to run.
Chronic rhino-sinusitis is a common ailment among farm cats. It's part of the upper respiratory complex diseases that run in our circles. We are often afflicted by these diseases because we are not vaccinated and because some of these diseases can spread trans-placentally (through the placenta from mother to kitten) so sometimes we're predisposed before we are even born. 

My symptoms used to be a lot more aggressive which is partly why I was adopted out rather than being sent back to the farm, after I was spayed. I used to go into sneezing fits so violent that I would have to climb down off of high surfaces to avoid falling. 
The humans would come running when they heard me start to sneeze, paper towel in hand. I think getting the boogers wiped off my face was far more traumatic than the actual sneezing fit, itself. I would always try to tell them "DON'T WORRY, I EATED IT," but it never mattered, they would still smear that semi abrasive white towel all over my face.
 I used to have to sneeze and simultaneously eat my boogs at the same time, when I lived on the farm. Any trace of illness when you live outdoors does not usually weigh in your favor. 
Chronic rhino-sinusitis is like having a constant sinus infection. I used to have headaches from the congestion, my mom would give me headache medicine to relieve the pressure. She could always tell cause my eyes would get squinty and I'd sit still for long periods of time. After a series of trials on antibiotics and then immune supplements, we were able to hold back the beast. Now I only have boogers in the spring and fall when I'm suffering from my seasonal allergies. 
I think I also have food allergies, some foods make my skin itchier than others. We haven't done any allergy testing yet but we experiment with different foods and supplements. My skin being itchy is why back scratches made my "things I like" list. 

Sometimes I run and jump and play so hard that the other two apparently more domesticated cats, Titan and Mira get concerned and stay to the outside perimeter of our living room. They just sit and watch me with a look of horror on their faces. I guess I'm just living out my kittenhood. I'm roughly 4-5 years old but I didn't get to be a kitten on the farm. Dealing with illness and raising a litter of kittens of my own, was what I spent most of my time doing. I was however, in the favor of the farmers wife. When I really didn't feel good, I got to come inside the farmhouse and warm up and get injections of penicillin. When I was healthy, it was back outside for me. I learned to potty in the litter box but never learned to poop in the litter box and that's why I never became a steady house cat, at the farm. I had friends and family (brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, mom, dad and my own children) outside, so I was ok being a mostly outdoor cat. 
That is all for now, it's 9:20 a.m. and it's time for my mid morning nap. 

Until later,

Nut

No comments:

Post a Comment