Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Day 8, Entry 1 - The Nerd Herd

Dear Diary,

I guess I should talk about my sibling cats, the other two that make up our dynamic nerd herd. Titan is a large orange tabby cat, and by large I mean he's tall and husky and is almost double my body weight. This puts me at an extreme disadvantage when he play fights me, sometimes he's just a jerk though and likes to sit on me and bite my neck. I just lay there and scream until mom yells at him. The bed is the safe zone in our house, he often won't come up there and bother us so I know if I can make a break and make it to the bed, he gives up.
He has behavioral issues. He's kind of a jerk and we think it's because he was cuddled too much as a kitten. He is the only cat of the two that will cuddle and sleep with me, though. Mom finds us spooning a lot. He's the big spoon.
Titan also has issues with food. He's always hungry and worried about his next meal. If mom takes too long to come home he starts to panic and he gets into the cupboards. He has to jump on top of the fridge and then up to the top surface of the cupboards. He then flips the door of the highest cupboard open. His panic go-to meal is in there. Cheerios. Yup, he eats cheerios when he gets hungry and worried that mom isn't coming home. He literally has to lower himself into the cupboard and since he's huge and slightly overweight, it's always a show for Mira and I. He has a lot of upper body strength and has a good 3 minute arm hang. Anyway, he gets in there, pushes the Cheerio box out onto the floor, jumps down and begins his feast. After he's done he starts talking about how we're going to have to ration out the rest of the Cheerios and drink from the toilet if mom doesn't reappear. 
He's really the nerdiest cat I've ever met. I think his time would be better spent learning how to work the can opener, at least for Mira and myself. We don't care for Cheerios. 

Mira is a beauty. She's a very petite tortie (tortoise shell). She never really got past the size of a teenage kitten. She's really sweet but is often aloof. She's very independent and plays alone. She doesn't like sleeping next to Titan or myself unless the apartment is cold, she likes to sleep next to mom. She always has to have a paw touching mom when we're sleeping. 
Mira's weird behavioral problem is wool sucking. She does it when she gets lonely for mom or when mom is really stressed out. Wool sucking is a habitual behavior that some cats take on as a way of stress management. She sucks on fabrics and almost nothing is safe. Everything from shirts to sweaters to bed comforters is subject to Mira's wool sucking. Titan sometimes does it too, but not as much as Mira. Sometimes she eats the fabric which is real bad and makes mom worry a lot. Needless to say we get a lot of supplements to keep our digestive tract healthy which means we poop a lot. 
Pooping is stressful for me. Pooping is the one hang up / behavioral issue I have (other than being very assertive when I'm hungry). That's a story for later though. 
Newborn Titan and Mira - dry and warm.
Mira being cute for the camera
No matter how weird Titan and Mira's behaviors seem to me, I still love them very much.They are my family and I'm proud to be the first cat they knew. All they had was each other (and a mini weiner dog) for the first year of their lives. Dogs make me nervous.
Mom says one day we will have a house that we can run around in and be wild. She says we'll live in the country and she'll hang bird feeders outside the windows and on Christmas we can have tree that we can climb in and stockings filled with our favorite treats. 
Mom also says that when we move, we can help other cats that need homes or care until they can find homes of their own. We're just fine with that. Titan and Mira's mom was most likely a farm cat too. She was found alongside the road pregnant and so hungry that she was willing to eat McDonald's french fries, on the way home. 
We know we can't solve the word's cat population problems, but we want to help. 
One day, we will.

Until later,

Nut


Titan having a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment